Friday, August 3, 2018

A Brother Asks: Hidden Mysteries




A Brother Asks: I’ve been contemplating on this question… Do you think there’s a difference between the secrets of freemasonry, and the hidden mysteries of freemasonry?
Coach: Yes.

Brother:  How would you explain the difference Coach?
Coach: The secrets are what are provided to you simply by going through the degrees.

Brother: Okay.  I get that.
Coach: Furthermore, you cannot avoid receiving these secrets.

Brother: I can’t?
Coach: You cannot if you participate in ritual.  You get them like it or not.

Brother: But what are they?
Coach: Simply put, they are referred to as the “modes of recognition”.

Brother: That’s it?
Coach: No. These are coupled with those things that are not spelled out - in jurisdictions that use coded books.

Brother: So, how do they contrast with the mysteries?
Coach: The mysteries are those things you have to experience and discover for yourself as a result of your exposure to Ritual. 

Brother: Anything else?

Coach: Yes. When you’re inspired, it may include what develops within yourself as a result of your efforts to perfect yourself, your skills and your awareness.

Brother:  Coach, that’s how I understand each of them.
Coach: We are in accord then.  Where's your confusion?

Brother: My confusion comes from my EA Obligation. It instructs me to keep and conceal and never reveal the hidden mysteries of ancient freemasonry. 
Coach: What’s the confusion?

Brother: Why wouldn’t I want to reveal things relative to my positive self development?
Coach: I understand your question.  And that is not what you promised to never reveal.

Brother: It’s not?
Coach: It’s not.

Brother: Then what is it that I am promising not to do?
Coach: Great question.  May I walk you through it?

Brother: Yes!  Please do!
Coach: What is ancient Freemasonry?

Brother:  Coach, I’m assuming it means Freemasonry from now back through the ages...
Coach:  It's dangerous to assume this as a fact my Brother.

Brother:  And this may be part of the cause of my confusion.
Coach: You are not alone. 

Brother: I’m not?
Coach: Yes.  There are many members and non-members alike who share your confusion.

Brother: How do I get unconfused?
Coach: Good Question!  First off, don’t assume Grand Lodge Era Freemasonry goes any further back than to about 1717 CE.

Brother: Okay.  That basically diminishes the word “ancient” from my original question.
Coach: Yes.  The word is put in there to help create the illusion of age.

Brother: Illusion?
Coach: Yes.  These are not ancient rituals.  The word “ancient” is put in there to impact those going through, as if they were.  It gives them the feel of it being archaic, when in reality it is not.

Brother: It’s not?
Coach: Yes.  It is not.  But there’s no reason you have to get bogged down in ruining the illusion that it is.  Hence the reason it is added.

Brother: For effect?
Coach: Yes.

Brother:  Anything else?
Coach: Yes. Don’t assume “mysteries” mean what they might be thought of today.

Brother: As in, things that are mysterious?
Coach: Exactly!

Brother: Then what should I do to know better about this word?
Coach: I like how you are seeking more. 

Brother: Thanks!
Coach: What many members and non-members do not know is that the word “Mysteries” used within the context of our Ritual is plural for “Mystery”, which in turn is another word for “Mystery Play” - as in Freemasonic Ritual.

Brother: Wait... what!?
Coach: I’m glad you are questioning this. Do your research Brother!

Brother:  Okay. Let me look it up…
Coach: Go ahead, I have time.

Brother: Wow Coach! That was a real golden nugget...thank you!
Coach:  You’re welcome. So, what have you figured out?

Brother:  I had never heard of a Mystery Play. It’s literally describing our ritualistic plays. 
Coach: Yes.  It does. How did you find this?

Brother: I just looked up the definition!
Coach: What did you find?

Brother: I found the following… Mystery Play [noun] – a popular medieval play based on biblical stories or the lives of the saints.
Coach: Good! I came across very similar gems while researching "Building Free Men" and wrote about it in "The Craft Unmasked!"

Brother: What were you looking up?
Coach: I was researching the word “mastery”.

Brother: And?
Coach: It appears the two words, “mystery” and “mastery”, were used synonymously at one point in history.

Brother: What did they refer to at that time?
Coach: They both referred to a man’s occupation. 

Brother: Interesting!
Coach: Indeed!  There were a lot of tongue in cheek word plays at that time using these two words.

Brother: I can imagine!  Can more information on all this be found in these books?
Coach: Yes, with research to back it up.

Brother: I’ll have to investigate that.  Thanks!
Coach: You’re most welcome.  So, let’s get back to your original question.

Brother: Okay!
Coach: When you promised not to reveal the mysteries of Freemasonry, what are you actually promising?

Brother:  Not to reveal our ritual, these "Mystery Plays", verbatim.
Coach: Yes. It's a brilliant play on words, no?

Brother: Are you punning with me?
Coach: Of course I am.  But let’s get serious.

Brother: Okay.
Coach: Why is it so important to keep this promise, aside from the moral implications of keeping your word?

Brother: Well, if our Ritual is a collection of Mystery Plays, then not sharing them is likened to not revealing the plot and the details of a good novel, no?
Coach: Exactly!  It prevents spoilers!  By sharing the details, you ruin it for those who don’t want to know the story before they experience it for themselves.

Brother: Okay.  I get it!  That’s why I am asked to promise never to reveal the hidden mysteries of ancient freemasonry. Our ritual is hidden for good purposes.
Coach: And they are?

Brother: All of them come down to one thing.
Coach: Which is?

Brother: Not to ruin it for those who have yet to experience them first.
Coach: Good enough reason Bro.?

Brother: Yes. Indeed it is!

1 comment:

Peter Taylor said...

If Masonry uses the illusion of secrecy, it is because it knows that it is the nature of man to seek what is hidden and to desire what is forbidden. Even God hides from us, that in seeking Him amid the shadows of life we may find both Him and ourselves. The man who does not care enough for God to seek Him will never find Him, though He is not far away from any one of us.

One who looks at Masonry in this way will find that his Masonic life is a great adventure. It is a perpetual discovery. There is something new at every turn, something new in himself as life deepens with the years; something new in Masonry as its meaning unfolds. The man who finds its degrees tedious and its Ritual a rigmarole only betrays the measure of his own mind.