Wednesday, September 27, 2023

A Brother Asks: Does Sitting in the East Improve your Credibility?

 

A Brother Asks: I have a few questions.  Do you have a few minutes?

Coach:  Sure! What's up?

Brother: Have you sat in the East?

Coach: I have not sat in the East as a Worshipful Master, but I have many times as a guest, yes.

Brother: Does not ever sitting in the East, as in being a Worshipful Master for a Lodge, make one less credible when it comes to Masonic lectures or other Masonic ventures?

Coach:  That’s a great question!  Let’s get into it!

Brother: Yes, please!

Coach: It’s most unfortunately that there are some members of this fraternity who truly believe a Brother's credibility is next to nil until he is a Past Master... I am certainly & clearly not one of them!

Brother:  Yes, this I do understand. Is there a particular reason why you haven't traveled to the East?

Coach: Let me review them here for you with some background:

1)      I was in the Junior Warden position when I told the secretary I would not be continuing.

2)      I saw the writing on the walls when I realized that it was not something that interested my Masonic pursuits. 

3)      I realized too that I contribute much more doing what I do.

4)      That year our Lodge musician died that year and I stepped into that office soon thereafter and never looked back.

I’m glad that I moved in the direction that I did for my love is providing music and Masonic Light for Lodges where it is needed, wanted, and supported.

Brother: Thanks. That’s just what I needed to hear.

Coach:  Please keep this in mind: I had to consider many things in my choice.  If I had tied up more years of my life in getting into that Eastern Chair and then the year or two in that Chair, it would have taken time away from what I love - Masonic light!

Brother: Yes, I see that.

Coach: Although there are many hoops that one must jump through, thanks to specific Grand Lodge guidelines and requirements that are put in place by many Jurisdictions, sitting in the East can be done by anyone who gets pushed into that seat.  I have witnessed far too many who were pushed into the chair who hadn't a clue!

Brother: I agree and see it happening. Putting one through the chairs and not putting leaders in the chair is something I can't comprehend.

Coach: Sure, it’s a worthy seat; but only for those who desire it & who can provide the type of service that it requires. 

Brother: Ah!  Yes, this is true.

Coach: However, I know my strengths, passions, and desires.

Brother:  How’s that?

Coach: I’m by my nature an explorer & advisor, not a leader.  These are things that I have been offered and have embraced in my life.  And I have lost count over the years of the number of men & Masons that I have advised in those Eastern seats and beyond. This is what I have been blessed with and hence my choice.  And I have been rewarded a thousand fold for exercising them as I have.

Brother:  That much is clear.

Coach: There might be a time when I want to take a break and actually sit on the Eastern Chair, but I do not see that occurring anytime soon. So, why do you ask?

Brother:  That’s a fair enough question!  I’ll give you the brief version. I have some decisions that I need to make and you’ve been around long enough to see things a bit clearer than most; hence, my seeking of your opinion.

Coach: Is someone thinking about the East?

Brother: I was… but only for a hot minute…

Coach: LOL!  I totally understand!  Here’s something to consider: Sitting in the East is about running a Lodge with all that goes along with making new members, keeping the peace, and dealing with Lodge building headaches. It has NOTHING to do with Masonry as many members have come to understand & know it and everything to do with maintaining the Lodge building and its support organization, all while appeasing the Grand Lodge and its officers. You know, Freemasonry!  It’s a heck of a lot to take on and it's not what I joined for.  As I have said before, I joined the gym for the workout; not to run the place.

Brother: I completely understand. I just wanted to know how not going to the East will affect my credibility of doing lectures and other Masonic adventures that I'd like to start doing.

Coach:  Ah! I understand your concern. In my experience and observations of others in similar situations, I find the best credibility that any member can ever have is based solely upon this simple question: "Can I and do I deliver on my Word?"  When a member does deliver well, and does so consistently, only those with an evil agenda will cause them problems.  Those members who are based in the reality of "those who can best work and best agree" and on the merit of that good work will both support that member and what he offers in total, and they will also build a landing pad & host him in his efforts.

And, in this it should become abundantly clear to you that it's not any one position - chair or not! - that give a man or member credibility but the men in those positions that have give  credibility to those positions!

Brother:  That’s so true!

Coach: So, let's revisit your question.

Brother: Okay.

Coach:  Does Sitting in the East Improve anyone's Credibility?

Brother: Well, to be honest, no. The individual who sits in that chair will be provided with many opportunities to show how credible they are.  However, sitting in the chair, just like being in any position, doesn't improve that man's credibility. It only reveals the credibility he already has.  

Coach: I have to agree.  Now, if you're looking to pursue any Grand Lodge officerships, then the issue of that Eastern chair needs to be put to rest.  In this specific case, sitting in the East does not effect your credibility; it effects your eligibility. But that's an entirely different conversation!


 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a brother who has served my lodge as Presiding Master on numerous occasions I disagree strongly with the viewpoint that being Master of a Lodge has nothing to do with Masonry. As a Masonic leader one of your primary objectives is to ensure that your brethren obtain the Masonic knowledge they need to make themselves better men, that being our promise after all. In my experience good presiding masters study and practice our craft diligently and zealously and in so doing encourage their brethren to do likewise. Of course it is also true that not everyone who goes into the chair of a lodge is a good leader, but I have seen many cases where our order has effectively delivered on its promise and assisted those in the east to develop their leadership skills and Masonic knowledge in order to make themselves better men and the world a better place

Coach John S Nagy said...

re: Anonymous said... - As a brother who has served my lodge as Presiding Master on numerous occasions I disagree strongly with the viewpoint that being Master of a Lodge has nothing to do with Masonry.

Which is your right. However, please read the link that provides the distinctions between Freemasonry and Masonry. If sitting in the chair supported Masonry, rather than Freemasonry, we would have more men understanding the differences.


re: As a Masonic leader one of your primary objectives is to ensure that your brethren obtain the Masonic knowledge they need to make themselves better men, that being our promise after all.

If this were true, there would be more focus on Masonic education, rather than Freemasonic education. Once again, read the link for details on their different focuses.

re: In my experience good presiding masters study and practice our craft diligently and zealously and in so doing encourage their brethren to do likewise.

And that craft is putting on degrees, training newbies to do the same, and running the lodge. That's not Masonry. That's Freemasonry.

re: Of course it is also true that not everyone who goes into the chair of a lodge is a good leader, but I have seen many cases where our order has effectively delivered on its promise and assisted those in the east to develop their leadership skills and Masonic knowledge in order to make themselves better men and the world a better place

Yep! On this we agree!